Wednesday, January 5, 2011

5 January 2011-Isaiah 58:2-9

"To all appearances they're a nation of right-living people"
"Law-abiding, God-honoring", praying under the steeple
"They ask me, 'What's the right thing to do?'"
"And love having me on their side" too
"But they also complain" about the result of their fasting
Saying they are not noticed by God everlasting
God responded in verse three
Being as direct as He could be
"You fast, but at the same time you bicker and fight"
"You fast, but you swing a mean fist" with might
"The kind of fasting you do", I have found
"Won't get your prayers off the ground"
"Do you think this is the kind of fast day I'm after"
"A day to show off humility" instead of laughter
"To put on a pious long face" while food you lack
"And parade around solemnly in black?"
"This is the kind of fast day I'm" looking for
"To break the chains of injustice," that's for sure
"What I'm interested in seeing you do" for me
"Is sharing your food with the hungry"
Inviting into your houses the homeless poor
"Putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad" and more
"Being available to your own families"
Those are actions which will God please
"Do this and the lights will turn on", God said
"And your lives will turn around at once" instead

Dear God, please help me in this time of fasting
To put in place changes that are everlasting
Both in terms of how I spend my time
(Not just when I write my daily rhyme)
But also in terms of what I do
To impact others' lives, even a few

No comments:

Post a Comment