Friday, January 14, 2011

14 January 2011 - Psalm 88 (redux)

If this psalm's author can find reason to praise
As Job also did on his horrific days
Then there is no reason why I
Being so blessed, should not try
To focus on God's great power
Instead of feeling down and sour
So dear God, thank you for your word
And let me proceed undeterred
To follow your path and do your will
Even if that path appears to be uphill

"O Lord, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out", can't you see?
"May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry" says verse two
"For my soul is full of trouble"
"And my life draws near the grave's" rubble
"I am like a man without strength" says verse four
"I am set apart with the dead...whom you remember no more"
"My eyes are dim with grief"
"I call to you...every day" for relief
"But I cry to you for help", that's what I do
"In the morning my prayer comes before you"

Although this psalm is full of despair
The author knows that God does care
We don't know why we suffer
Perhaps it is to make us tougher
But we do know one thing
God's praises we should sing
In good times and in bad
There are always reasons to be glad
To repeat what I said other times
In various poems and rhymes
I must remember to praise God and pray
Every morning and every day

No comments:

Post a Comment