Friday, December 17, 2010

16 December 2010 - Proverbs 1:1-7

I read this passage again this morning
It contains good advice but also a warning
So I thought I would recycle a poem from before
But to my thoughts, I added some more
It is easy for me to read verses one through six
About wisdom and learning my eyes transfix
But another key is contained in verse seven
"The beginning of knowledge" is the fear of God in heaven
This provides me with a different perspective
For much of my learning could be deemed defective
With those words, I must realign my mind
For to God and His will I must be inclined

The proverbs helps us to attain "wisdom and discipline"
"For understanding words of insight" and avoiding sin
For acquiring a disciplined life without need of repair
"Doing what is right and just and fair"
Verse four continues "for giving prudence" to the fool
"Knowledge and discretion" to those in school
"Let the wise listen and add to their learning"
And guidance give to the discerning
For understanding the parables' guise,
And "the sayings and riddles of the wise"
"The beginning of knowledge" is "the fear of the Lord"
"But fools despise wisdom and discipline" of the Word.

Proverbs is such an interesting book
Every day I should be taking a look
Thanks to God, Solomon was very wise
(Unfortunately he also had lustful eyes)
But if his words we do read
And his warnings we do heed
Then we will live a better life
And the world would have much less strife

No comments:

Post a Comment