Tuesday, February 15, 2011

15 February 2011 - Matthew 26:36-43

"Sit here while I go over there and pray" Jesus said
Taking with him Peter, James, and John instead
But Jesus "began to be sorrowful and troubled"
He asked for his friends' efforts to be redoubled
Jesus prayed some more, He did not flee
"My Father...may this cup be taken from me"
And although He knew what would happen on the hill
He said to God, "yet not as I will, but as you will"
"He returned to his disciples and found them sleeping"
Instead of His pleading instructions keeping
"Couldn't you men keep watch with me for one hour?"
"Watch and pray" and do not fall to temptation's power
And then "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"
Jesus then went to pray again and for God's will to seek
"My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away"
"May your will be done", I will submit to your way

I must thank a friend for sending this my way
A perfect passage and message for me this day
Such a powerful passage this appears to be
Three important messages come through to me
The first is that Jesus, with all of his strength
Still needed to pray to God at some length
The second is that Jesus, God's only Son
Submitted to God's will, which must be done
The third is that as disciples we have a role
Others to support, encourage, and console
So dear God, let this remind me now and always
To pray and to do your will on all of the days
Also give me the strength not to fall asleep
When others are in need or start to weep

No comments:

Post a Comment