Sunday, October 20, 2013

20 October 2013 - 2 Peter 3:8-18

“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends”
Is how this passage starts - and also ends
“With the Lord a day is like a thousand years”, Peter did say
He continued with “and a thousand years are like a day”
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise” to anyone
For “He is patient”, waiting for repentance to be done
“The day of the Lord will come like a thief” into a store
At that time, “the heavens will disappear with a roar”
“Since everything will be destroyed in this way”
We “ought to live holy and godly lives” today
And since we look forward to the day of His return
(Even if it means that many things here will burn)
We should “make every effort to be found spotless”
As well as at peace with God and also blameless
For “our Lord’s patience means salvation” for us all
Peter reminded that this was also written by Paul
Therefore, with this knowledge, we should be on our guard
So that we do not err and from our secure position fall hard
“In the grace and knowledge” of our Lord we should grow
Giving Him glory now and forever is what we should show
 
A good reminder of perspective this passage shall be
To live a “holy and godly” life is still an aim for me
I am far from spotless, blameless, or at peace
And I often wonder if my errors will ever cease
But about God’s power and mercy I do know
With this knowledge, my faith will again grow
I thank God for such reminders from Peter and Paul
And endeavor to make “give glory” my clarion call
 

No comments:

Post a Comment