Friday, April 3, 2015

3 April 2015 - Good Friday

John chapters 18 and 19 tell us what happened on that day
Jesus was tormented in both a physical and an emotional way
In Matthew 26-27, Mark 14-15, and Luke 22-23 there is more
All about Jesus' death on the cross, what He came to earth for
He was betrayed, arrested, put on trial, mocked, and beaten
Disowned by Peter, with whom the Last Supper He had eaten
But throughout it all, only positive things Jesus had to say
And even at the end, for others Jesus did continue to pray
His crucifixion clearly fulfilled Old Testament prophecies
And forgiveness of our multitude of sins He guarantees
 
When I think of the flogging and His nail-pierced hands and feet
And knowing that because of Jesus, my life can be complete
Reading the words, let alone watching screen adaptations
Hits me hard, shaking my supposed strong foundations
I realize that words of thanks can never really be enough
I should do as Jesus would do, even when times are tough
What I do and how I respond is my testimony and tribute
And one measure is how much to society I do contribute
 
But no matter how much I may do or even poetically say
I know that this is one debt that I can never fully repay
Fortunately, that is not what God wants from any believer
He wants us to be faithful to Him and to be a grace receiver
So on this Good Friday I humbly say thanks for His grace
And with faith, against challenges I move forward to face

No comments:

Post a Comment