Sunday, November 3, 2013

3 November 2013 - Idols

After three straight worship nights, it is time to turn the page
In my head is a line from Jimmy Needham's "Clear The Stage"
"Anything that I put before God is an idol" he sings
This can refer to people, places, actions, or things
 
Here are some of that song's powerful lyrics
No matter who sings it, the message sticks
"We must not worship something that's not even worth it
Clear the stage make some space for the one who deserves it
Anything I put before my God is an idol
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol
And anything I can't stop thinking of is an idol
And anything that I give all my love is an idol
We can sing all we want to and still get it wrong"
The chorus ends with "Worship is more than a song"
 
There was so much more that came out of those nights
And those will no doubt influence what this poet writes
But for now, these idols I must identify and from myself rid
Out of love for God, whether or not the law does forbid
Coming up with my list of my idols will not be easy
And it will undoubtedly at times make me queasy
Anything that gets in the way of serving God
Must be eliminated, as per the lyrical prod

No comments:

Post a Comment