Friday, April 4, 2014

4 April 2014 - David: The Shepherd King (part two of two)

God spoke to David, per Second Samuel seven
Through Nathan, a prophet God sent from heaven
God said that He would make David’s name great
And give him rest from enemies who did Israel hate
God promised the kingdom would pass to David’s son
Who would build a temple that would be rivaled by none
And even when the son did wrong despite being clever
David’s “house and [his] kingdom will endure forever”

“The Lord is my shepherd” David wrote in Psalm twenty three
To green pastures and beside quiet waters “He leads me”
“He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake”
Even if a walk in “the valley of the shadow of death” I may take
“I will fear no evil, for You are with me”
“Your rod and…staff”, comforting they be
“You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows”
“Goodness and love will follow” wherever He goes
In John ten, “I am the good shepherd” Jesus did say
For his sheep, the good shepherd will his life lay

In Second Samuel eleven, David sent his army out
Both the Ammonites and Rabbah they did rout
But in Jerusalem, in his palace David did stay
From his roof, a beautiful woman he saw one day
He sent for Bathsheba and together they did sleep
News of her pregnancy from Uriah David tried to keep
He had Uriah come back to give him a report
But since the army was fighting, Uriah did retort
He would not return to his house or lie with his wife
Saying “I will not do such a thing” in his entire life

So instructions to Uriah’s field commander David sent
And therefore into a dangerous position Uriah went
“Some of the men in David’s army fell”; Uriah also died
When his wife Bathsheba heard the news, she cried
After mourning, she married David and bore him a son
But the Lord was displeased with what David had done
To Nathan in Second Samuel twelve, his sin David did confess
The Lord decided to spare David’s life out of His goodness

After confessing to Nathan, David wrote Psalm fifty one
Asking for mercy from God for what he had done
“For I know…my sin is always before me” and is not right
“Against you, I have…done what is evil in Your sight”
“Surely I was sinful at birth” as with everyone is the case
“You desire truth…and teach me wisdom in the inmost place”
“Blot out all my iniquity…and create in me a pure heart”
“From your presence” do not allow me to be apart

No comments:

Post a Comment